8 tips for sales managers to motivate field teams
We all need a little motivation and inspiration sometimes. Encourage field teams to achieve greatness in their daily work. Here’s how to point good sales people in the right direction:
Your sales team are the face of your company; they stand at the front line nurturing existing customers and converting new prospects. You can have all the right tools in place but it comes down to the people using them to generate results. So it’s important your field team stays driven at work to meet those all-important business objectives.
Sales teams can achieve great things, so let’s take a look at some of the ways you can motivate them and continue to see those great results!
- Create competition – sales people are naturally competitive, so why not establish a system which sees them battle it out. Opmetrix reports is a great way of seeing how many call cards or sales your team is making, or how many prospects they’ve converted. Use data-driven results to generate healthy competition which encourages teams to engage and increases morale.
- “I just wanted to say…” – saying thank you goes further than you think! Send an email or a card to let sales teams know you’re grateful for their efforts, and be specific about what you’re thankful for. Make your team feel stronger both individually and together.
- Reward hard work – who’s your number one performer? Do you have a ‘Sales Team of the Month’ award? Rewards don’t have to cost an arm and a leg, but they’re a good way to make your team feel appreciated. Allow sales reps to finish work early on a Friday, offer free drinks on the house (within a budget, of course), a gift voucher, or organise a catered lunch.
- Share the news – don’t keep sales teams’ achievements a secret, share it with the rest of the team. Send out a company email or mention it in your monthly company newsletter so that your clients will know some of your best reps!
- Give them the right tools – arm your field team with the right tool to quicken the sales process and which gets teams back in the field and onto the next opportunity. Opmetrix is loved by many clients and sales reps alike because it’s a user-friendly business tool which improves efficiencies of sales, and management have complete visibility of their field team.
- Listen – recognise a problem or a need your field team has and resolve the problem as quickly as possible. Opmetrix identifies issues when sales reps escalate them to management. Use this information to solve problems so teams can get on with the job.
- Seasoned sales teams are used to hearing the word “no” and have no doubt grown thicker skin in the process. Encourage your team to share tips on what they do to overcome rejection and stay positive!
- Share information you’ve found useful, whether it’s a blog post, YouTube video, book or news article, it may help your sales team to improve their performance. In turn, ask what they find motivating and inspiring too and share it with others. Many clients of Opmetrix use Dropbox to share data and information easily.